Drills to Improve Reaction Time in Handball
Being able to respond quickly and with agility to every move of your opponents is one of the most important skills needed in handball.
To respond with the correct move at the correct time, a player needs to exhibit incredible coordination, agility, speed, balance, and reaction time.
But can you improve reaction time In handball? Luckily, you can! Let’s see how.
How can you improve reaction time In handball?
Here are some drills that can help you improve your reflexes and reaction time in handball.
Toss and Switch
- Have a friend stand facing you at 2 meters away. Each of you should have a ball.
- Count to 3 and toss the balls into the air, the highest you can.
- The task for both of you is to catch each other’s ball before it touches the ground.
- Repeat the drill 10 times.
Sit and Catch
- For this drill, sit on the floor and have your partner stand directly behind you.
- Your partner has to throw the ball so that it lands in your lap. They have to do this at unpredictable random intervals.
- Your goal is to catch the ball before it makes contact with your lap.
- Do 4 sets of 60 seconds each every day.
Throw and block
- Have your partner stand facing you at approximately 3 meters.
- Your partner needs to have a number of balls with them.
- They will throw the balls at you, randomly and in different directions.
- You need to block every ball thrown at you as fast as you can.
- Keep doing this until you run out of balls. Then, reset and repeat for at least 4 times.